Contour Biennale has made a name for itself far beyond Belgium. It is a unique platform for anyone interested in the moving image. Since 2003, Contour Biennale has occupied a distinct position in the visual arts in this country, with a name that resounds far beyond the national borders. It focuses on the moving image, but also features installations, sound and performance. Contour has been part of nona arts centre since January 2017. So far 9 exhibitions took place. The tenth edition is planned to be held in October and November 2023. The curator will be appointed in June 2021.
Contour Biennale 10 will be a long-running exhibition in Mechelen during the autumn of 2023. The artistic quality of the works exhibited is of prime importance. We aim to reconcile incisive choices of content with an audience that is as wide and diverse as possible.
Inclusivity, fair practice and ecological awareness are values that kunstencentrum nona holds in high esteem. Consequently, Contour Biennale 10 must aim towards the same sustainable development goals throughout the entire process.
The curator determines the concept, content and form of Contour Biennale 10. The curator has affinity with moving image and apart from curating the biennial is willing to search for connections with the performing arts and music programming of nona. The assignment will run from June 2021 until December 2023.
• has access to an extensive network and has an understanding of the international visual arts landscape, as well as a critical perspective;
• has the capacity to occupy curatorial standpoints and to communicate them clearly;
• can free up sufficient time to present and to represent the biennale;
• possesses the necessary management skills to lead staff and has experience in project management;
• can work within a predefined financial framework and is willing to seek extra funding;
• will develop a public programme with both a widening and deepening dimension;
• will bear in mind the context of the medium-sized city where the exhibition is to be held.
Submit your application to: email@example.com.
Your application should consist of a:
• motivation letter (maximum 1 A4 page)
• project proposal including a few names of artists whose work you would like to present (maximum 2 A4 pages)
• a CV with a summary of your professional experience as a curator (maximum 1 A4 page)