Job opportunity – Curator, Bass Museum of Art in Miami Beach, USA
Currently an employment opportunity exists at the Bass Museum of Art in Miami Beach for an additional curator. The Curator oversees all aspects of exhibition coordination, implements selected gallery exhibitions, off-site projects and publications with the Museum Director and the Curator of Exhibitions.
Reporting to the Curator of Exhibitions, the Curator’s major responsibilities include:
– Working closely with the department to research, develop and implement the museum’s curatorial program.
– Undertaking scholarly research in all areas of contemporary arts for exhibitions in order to propose and recommend exhibition projects and publications aligned with the current artistic vision of the Bass Museum of Art.
– Negotiating with artists and lending institutions and supervising all aspects of installations.
– Establishing, fostering and maintaining contacts with artists, collectors, donors, sponsors, galleries, universities, as well as various organizations on the local and international scenes in the development of museum’s exhibition program.
– Preparing and monitoring exhibition budgets and expenses, and managing and directing the work of subordinate staff.
– Reviewing and responding to exhibition proposals.
– Working with the Education Department to plan and support education programs aimed at engaging new and diverse audiences.
– Contributing to exhibition texts used for media releases, newsletter, web and other sources.
– Preparing materials in support of applications for funding in consultation with the Development Department.
The ideal candidate will be a pragmatic organizer and team player with an excellent knowledge of contemporary art. His/her interests should be broad but grounded in a vision of contemporary art as practice in active dialogue with the contemporary world and its concerns. He/she must be a skilled advocate for the Bass Museum of Art and its mission, be able to support fundraising initiatives, have extensive networks in the field, and be committed to working in the public realm.