Applications should be submitted by Friday 24th June 2016.
Join Valletta 2018 at The Curatorial School (29th August2nd September 2016): a oneweek intensive lecture programme featuring leading curators and experts from major international arts institutions. The theme for this year’s Curatorial School is CURATING THE NEW. By bringing together international and local perspectives, this year’s programme asks: What is the meaning of the ‘new’ in contemporary art and curatorial practices?
The Curatorial School’s programme will explore a variety of topics that are highly relevant to practitioners and students today, including:
– the commissioning of new work from artists;
– the restaging of historical exhibitions;
– the negotiation of ideas between artists and curators;
– the use of new media in exhibitions, artistic autonomy and the ‘uses’ of art;
– locally engaged art projects;
– the rhetoric of immateriality in contemporary art;
– references to many specific exhibitions and international venues
A series of interactive workshops will complete the programme, offering participants the opportunity to respond to tasks put forward by guest curators and receive extensive feedback on aspects of curating, producing and presenting new ideas.
Workshop themes include, “Curating Light Art Projects in Public Space,” “Curating in a Maltese Context,” “Curating New Productions,” “Art in the Public Domain,” and “From Concept to Exhibition.”