Deadline: May 12, 2017. 11:59pm (EST)
The Curatorial Project Open Call provides one deserving curator or curatorial team the necessary time and resources to realize an innovative project with the aim of encouraging curatorial research in tandem with exhibition planning. CUE provides institutional guidance and resources to the curator, who produces a group exhibition in CUE’s space with related public programming and an accompanying exhibition catalogue in 2018.
The selected curator will receive valuable mentor support from one panelist including installation guidance in preparation for the exhibition, and will be awarded a $2,500 honorarium; a budget of $2,500 to divide amongst the participating artists and program speakers; and a production budget of $2,000.
Proposals are evaluated on merit of project, singularity of concept, and adherence to the application guidelines. All applications submitted will be considered final and treated as such. Applicants will not, under any circumstances, be permitted to add or edit an application once it has been submitted. All incomplete or duplicate applications will be immediately disqualified.
• Proposals must be conceptually rigorous and focus on artists, projects, and themes that are innovative, challenging, and engaging
• Extra consideration will be given to proposals that clearly demonstrate a unique and creative approach to both curatorial research methods and the exhibition plan, as well as those that present ideas or topics that are not well-represented in the commercial sector
• The proposal must include four or more artists, half of whom must qualify as under-recognized (no gallery representation and no solo exhibitions in a major venue within the past five years)
• Curators may not include their own work in the exhibition
• The curator and proposed artists can be of any nationality, but must currently reside in the United States
• Extra consideration will be given to those in the beginning stages of their curatorial careers
• CUE strongly encourages applications that contribute to our ongoing commitment to diversity